Sunday, November 14, 2010

Baking with kids!

My Little Helpers!


My kids love to bake with me and most of the time I enjoy baking with them, however we do NOT have a kitchen conducive to helpers! Oh, how I long for an island where the kids are on one side and I'm on the other! Not because I don't want them in my space, but because I don't want them in front of my stuff. You know, the drawer with the utensils, the cupboard with the ingredients, the oven door...basically in front of everything I need to open! I remember as a kid learning how to make Overnight Buns, a family recipe. Ten cups of flour (if I remember right) was a lot of flour to measure out and keep track of. A few batches may have been either too sticky or a little dry depending on my counting errors but I always got to help! When I would stay at my cousin Amy's house we would even play "Bakery" and come up with all kinds of things to sell - cookies, bars, you name it! Because I have these fond memories of baking/cooking I want to make sure my boys have those same memories and become proficient in the kitchen. Some day their wives will appreciate my efforts! Well, we decided to make some pumpkin cookies the other day. I had found the recipe online and thought why not give it a try. Connor and Owen were quick to help and it's not unusual for Owen to request to make cookies on a regular basis. Connor was even caught cooking at school in kindergarten...he would read a book and turn around and cook in the kitchen play area telling Mrs. Schlatter he was reading recipes like me. I think we're off to a good start!


Aren't the licking the beaters the best part of baking?

No comments:

Post a Comment